Some of us voted on Nov. 8th and the will of the people was to elect Donald Trump as the 45th president. Unbelievably ½ of eligible American voters did not exercise their rights! Did they not care for either candidate or were some of them just uncaring in general?
Now that this election process is over and the governing will soon begin, I’m asking each of you to do something; I’m asking you to care! I’m asking each of us to follow God’s word and His principles and to care about what He says as it relates to our leaders, from President Obama to President-elect Trump all the way down to the most obscure mayor of the smallest town. Here’s what I am asking;
1- To realize that while leaders may have been voted in by us, they were appointed by God;
- Psalm 75:6-7 For not from the east, nor from the west, nor from the desert (i.e. the wilderness) comes exaltation; 7 But God is the Judge; He puts down one and exalts another.
2- To know that God sovereignly directs our affairs and has had His hand on our nation since its 1776 founding. He says that while we are to respect our leaders, we are to trust solely in Him;
- Jeremiah 17:5, 7 Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who draws strength from mere flesh and whose heart turns away from the LORD. 7 But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him.
3- To participate in governing in the sense that we do our duty, which is to pray each day for our leaders, asking God to help guide them to be humble servant–leaders, acting in the best interests of those whom they represent and not in their own self-interests;
- 1 Timothy 2:1-3 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men (i.e. mankind) 2 For kings and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior;
4- Finally, in those areas that you do not agree with a particular leader, you can choose to exercise your First Amendment freedom of speech rights, or better yet in my humble opinion, to exercise your right to speak directly to God, asking Him to direct the heart of the king. I shared this premise in Power Message #18 and here was the key verse from that video;
- Proverbs 21:1 The king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord like channels of water; He turns it wherever he wants.
So while some of us have already and do presently choose to rant and post, I’m now asking each of us rather to kneel and pray. Please care about what God’s word says and join me on our knees before God each day:
Praying for God to direct President Obama in his final days.
Praying for a peaceful and productive transfer of power.
Praying for God to direct soon-to-be President Trump and all leaders, to function as a humble servant-leaders, ones who seeks God’s will in all areas and who are motivated to follow this example, as taught by Jesus;
- Matthew 20:27-28 And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: 28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.