In the Spring of 2018, two prominent people, ones that the rest of us might think were very happy, might not have been. One built a handbag company known throughout the world, and the other traveled the world, to parts unknown, yet they both decided to end their lives.
Seemingly they had no material wants. As the O’Jays famous tune belts out, they had “money, money, money…..money!” Please know I am NOT judging them. I’m simply saying that many people think that if they had that kind of wealth they’d be happy.
The scriptures teach that to be truly happy is to know God, to give Him first place in your life, and to put your trust and confidence in Him. The things that you need will be provided by the God who LOVES you!
One day Jesus spoke to a large gathering – it was called the Sermon on the Mount. Here is a small portion from that message, found the Gospel of Matthew, about THINGS:
• Matthew 6:25 (ESV) Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on (things). Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?
• Matthew 6:33 (ESV) But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
We all have things—material possessions—even the device you’re reading this on is a thing! To get things we need money, yet some proclaim that money is evil? They misquote the bible and say that MONEY is the root of all evil? Have you heard this? How could money be evil? It builds schools and hospitals and feeds homeless people. Here is what the bible accurately says:
• 1 Timothy 6:10 (ESV) “ For the love of money that is a root of all kinds of evil….”
Money is fine…it’s the LOVE of money that creates problems. We are to seek first God’s kingdom and His righteousness, and that means we are to live as Jesus taught us AND have confidence that He will meet our needs!
Seeking the Kingdom means seeking the King! The King is Jesus. That is easily identifiable in the scriptures, which state that in addition to scars he bears from His crucifixion, he also sports the coolest ever thigh tat;
• Revelation 19:16 (ESV) On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, “King of kings and Lord of lords.”
So we are to seek the King, the Lord, and not things, because true happiness comes from God, not cash;
• Psalm 144:15b (NKJV) Happy are the people whose God is the Lord!
• Jeremiah 17:7 (NKJV) Blessed (happy) is the man who trusts in the Lord, and whose hope (confidence) is the Lord.
So how do we come to know God? How do we put our trust in Him so we can have true happiness? We come to know Him through His word, the scriptures—the bible! There we find happiness, not from a thing but from a King.
Believe in Jesus and read His word. Make the King your Number One Thing.
P.S. This blog has a companion FIVE MINUTE POWER MESSAGE that can be viewed on our website. Here’s a link; Power Message 72